1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
30 caramels, halved and flattened
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
Yield: 5 dozen.
2 cookies equals 211 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
2. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
3. Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; flatten slightly.
4. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
5. Place a half-caramel on each cookie. Melt the chocolate chips and shortening; drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with pecans. Let stand until firm.